My Family spins an energetic and epic tale of a Mexican-American family's ups and downs over a 30 year period.
Edward James Olmos plays the eldest son, Paco, who is a writer and serves as narrator of the film.
My Family opened on May 3, 1995.
Buy on Blu-Ray or DVD
- In My Family, Jennifer Lopez plays young Maria, the mother of Paco played by Edward James Olmos, who goes on to portray the father of Lopez's title character in 1997's Selena.
- My Family's Jenny Gago also appeared in an episode of "American Family" with Edward James Olmos. She was also in "The Princess and The Barrio Boy" with Mr. Olmos.
- My Family star Jimmy Smits also appeared in the first episode of "Miami Vice". Edward James Olmos joined the show's cast as Lt. Martin Castillo five episodes later.
- My Family stars Esai Morales and Edward James Olmos have crossed professional paths in ("Miami Vice", "The Burning Season", The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit, "American Family", and The Disappearance of Garcia Lorca)
- Edward James Olmos has played Esai Morales father ("American Family") and brother (My Family), while Morales (on "Caprica") has played the father of Olmos' William Adama from "Battlestar Galactica".
- 1996 Academy Awards: Nominated for an Oscar for Best Makeup.
- 1995 Casting Society of America: Nominated for the Artios Award for Best Casting for Feature Film (Drama).
- 1996 Independent Spirit Awards: two nominations (Jimmy Smits for Best Male Lead and Jennifer Lopez for Best Supporting Female)
- 1995 NCLR Bravo Awards: Won the Bravo Award for Outstanding Feature Film
- 1995 San Sebastian International Film Festival: Won the OCIC Award (Gregory Nava) and was nominated for the Golden Seashell (Gregory Nava)
- 1996 Young Artist Awards: Won Best Young Supporting Actor in a Feature Film (Jonathan Hernandez)
My Family is one of my favorite movies featuring Edward James Olmos. It's a heart-warming tale of a Mexican-American family's journey through life. It tugs at the heart strings and comes with some truly wonderful laughs. What's more, the actors are absolutely amazing and perfectly cast.
I simply can't recommend this film enough to fans of Mr. Olmos, or those who just want a really good movie to watch. It's a wonderful way to spend a couple hours.