Edward James Olmos was on hand Wednesday when Dr. Joseph L.R. Mills, Sr., was honored with the 2011 Edward James Olmos Award for Advocacy in Amputation Prevention at the Diabetic Foot Global Conference.
Mills also received honors from the Office of L.A. City Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and California Legislative Assembly Member Felipe Fuentes at the conference, which was held from March 23-25 in Los Angeles. Mills is the professor and chief of the Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery at the University of Arizona’s College of Medicine in Tucson.
Previous recipients of the Olmos honor are: :
- Karel Bakker, MD, Heemstede, The Netherlands, 2003
- Andrew J. M. Boulton, MD, Manchester, UK, 2005
- Gary W. Gibbons, MD, Boston, MA, 2006
- Christopher E. Attinger, MD, Washington, DC, 2007
- Benjamin A. Lipsky, MD, Seattle, WA, 2008
- Peter R. Cavanagh, PhD, DSc, Seattle, WA, 2009
- Warren S. Joseph, DPM, Philadelphia, PA, 2010
If you'd like to donate to either foundation, click the matching logo:
- Amputation Prevention Center at Valley Presbyterian Marks 1st Year Anniversary with Launch of Telemedicine Pilot Program
- Diabetes Institute Research Foundation
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Diabetic Foot Global Conference