The stars and filmmakers were on hand in Park City, Utah, tonight as Filly Brown made its formal bow as part of the 2012 Sundance Film Festival.
Up-and-comer Gina Rodriguez stars as the titular character in the Latino hip-hop drama that tells the story of a young street poet who is trying to find her true voice even as she stands on the cusp of stardom. Directed by Youssef Delara (who also wrote the screenplay) and Michael D. Olmos, the film also stars Edward James Olmos, Lou Diamond Phillips, and Jenni Rivera.
Filly Brown is among 15 other films competing in the festival’s U.S. Dramatic Competition. Tonight's showing was the film's official premiere, the first of five planned for the festival.
Picture courtesy of Mico Olmos: Gina Rodriguez and Edward James Olmos on the red carpet
- Saturday, January 21, 8:30 a.m. – Egyptian Theatre, Park City
- Sunday, January 22, 6:00 p.m. – Tower Theatre, Salt Lake City
- Tuesday, January 24, 12:15 p.m. – Eccles Theatre, Park City
- Friday, January 27, 5:30 p.m. – Library Center Theatre, Park City
- Filly Brown melds music and family - ParkRecord.com
- Gina Rodriguez is Filly Brown - Back Stage
- Sundance: Lou Diamond Phillips makes his first festival appearance - Salt Lake Tribune
- Latino-Themed Movie Starring Gina Rodriguez to Rock Sundance Film Festival: Filly Brown - Huffington Post
- How Newcomer Gina Rodriguez Learned to Rap for 'Filly Brown' - Indiewire
- The 10 Best Music Films at Sundance 2012 - Rolling Stone